Chocolate and Almond Loaf Cake
Just to let you know, this post was written before I started the paleo diet to help ease my psoriasis. Nowadays I eat a more allergy-friendly diet, but leave these older, non-paleo posts up in case they are useful to readers, as I know not everyone eats the same as I do. Thanks for your understanding.
Chocolate and Almond Cake
Cuts into around 10 slices
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 130 soft brown sugar
- 40g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- approx. 130g plain flour
- 85g ground almonds
- 100ml milk (semi-skimmed or whole)
- 4 tbsp good quality cocoa powder (I use Bournville, or Green and Black's)
- half a teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160C. In a bowl, mix the soft butter and the sugars until they are creamy and fluffy. Beat in the eggs.
- On the scales, tip in your 2 tsp baking powder and then add plain flour untlil it gets to the 140g mark. Stir this into the eggy mixture, along with the ground almonds, cocoa powder and milk.
- Tip into your prepared loaf tin (mine measures 19cm x 8cm on the base) and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a skewer or cake tester comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin. Remove, slice into chunks and enjoy.