Why People Buy Fast Food...
Just to let you know, this post was written before I started the paleo diet to help ease my psoriasis. Nowadays I eat a more allergy-friendly diet, but leave these older, non-paleo posts up in case they are useful to readers, as I know not everyone eats the same as I do. Thanks for your understanding.
Confused about this, and as I have a weakness for pie charts and all things stats - I decided to carry out a survey of my own. I asked my followers on Twitter and Facebook friends to take part in a short, 60-second survey just revealing the reasons why they buy fast food when they're out and about. The results kind of shocked me.
As it turns out, people don't buy fast food because it's cheap - they buy it because it's quick. A whopping 75% of people responded that it was because fast food really was fast. No one admitted that it was because of inability or lack of confidence in the kitchen at home - and only 18.8% said that price was a consideration. Interestingly only 50% said that they bought it because they liked the taste.
Here are the full results below:
- 18.8% said that they bought fast food because it was cheap. Much less than I expected.
- 75% said they bought it because it was fast. Instant gratification, I suppose.
- 68.8% of people said that they bought it because it was convenient. Makes sense, as there's a well-known burger chain at the end of every street in our town,
- 0% said they bought fast food on the go because they couldn't cook at home. (phew!)
- 50% liked the taste - much lower than I expected. That means there are some out there buying fast food but don't enjoy the taste.
- 18.8% said they went to fast food restaurants because their kids like it.
So there are all sorts of reasons people nip out for a quick burger - it's convenient, quick and pleases the children. But it seems from this (admittedly fairly unscientific) survey that some people are buying it even though it's expensive and even if they don't much like the taste.
So what do you think? Why do you buy fast food?