And so it was born. You basically make an eggy bread sandwich (French Toast) with the peanut butter, banana and brioche and fry until crisp. The sweet, eggy brioche turns crisp in the pan, the bananas soften and the peanut butter just melts. But don't stop there, it's gorgeous drizzled with maple syrup, too.
Maybe not one you'd want to be eating every day, but when you wake up groggy on a rainy, sleepy Sunday morning, with a milky coffee alongside? It's just the job.
Peanut Butter and Banana Fried Brioche Sandwich
Serves 2 people
- 1 egg, beaten
- splash of milk
- 4 slices of brioche, from a loaf
- 2-3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 small banana, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- maple syrup, for drizzling over
- Beat the egg and the milk together in a shallow, wide bowl and set to one side.
- Spread each slice of brioche with a little of the peanut butter and lay the banana slices over two of the slices. Sandwich the rest to create two brioche peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
- In a non-stick frying pan, melt the butter, until it starts to foam. Dip the sandwiches (both sides) in the egg and drop into the frying pan. Fry for about 2 minutes each side, or until crisp.
- Serve straight away, drizzled with maple syrup.