This soup is great for using up leftover Stilton (and, indeed, broccoli) and it's cheap to make, too.
Broccoli and Stilton Soup
Serves 4, generously
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- small knob of butter (about 1tsp)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 500g broccoli, stalks and all
- 1 litre chicken stock
- pinch of sea salt
- 125g Stilton cheese, plus extra for sprinkling over
- Black pepper, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a largish saucepan and melt in the butter. Chop the broccoli stalks into 1cm approx chunks and slice off the separate florets.
- Add the chopped garlic and onion to the melted butter and oil and cook gently for a few seconds, stirring, until they soften. Tip in the chopped up broccoli. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in the stock, with a pinch of salt and simmer gently until the broccoli (especially the stalk) is tender. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool very slightly. Crumble in the Stilton and blend using a stick blender, until smooth and creamy. Serve straight away, in warmed bowls with the extra Stilton on top and lots of black pepper.
What are your favourite quick winter soups?