So, Kavey's theme for this month's Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream Challenge is chocolate. And that's quite lucky, because ever since I bought my ice cream maker about a month ago, this is one of the flavours I've made most often. I kept adjusting the recipe each time I made it, until it was perfect. This is the thing my children ask me to make the most. The trick is to use a good quality bar of chocolate - you'll really taste it in the finished ice cream.
Best Ever Chocolate Ice Cream with Hazelnuts
Makes about 650ml
- 200ml double cream
- 200ml full-fat milk
- 160g caster sugar
- 100g bar good quality dark chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons chopped, toasted hazelnuts, to serve
- Pour the cream and the milk into a saucepan. Tip in 80g of the sugar and heat gently. Break the chocolate up into small pieces and also add to the pan. Bring to just below boiling point.
- Whisk the egg yolks, the vanilla and the rest of the sugar together in a large bowl, until it thickens. You'll notice it might go quite dry first - like a paste - don't worry, keep whisking and it will loosen up.
- Pour the chocolatey milky mixture onto the whisked egg yolks into a thin, steady stream, whisking all the while.
- Leave to cool completely and, with the paddle running, pour into an ice cream machine and churn for 25 minutes. Transfer to the freezer for another hour or two to firm up a little, if you wish. Sprinkle with hazelnuts just before serving. Delicious!!