I still don't get Cheddar and chocolate, and even less Stilton and chocolate, made fashionable by the likes of chocolatier Paul A. Young. To me, they just taste like two completely different things - they don't mingle to create one unique flavour. Maybe I'm using the wrong Stilton. Or chocolate. But there you go.
This month's theme for the We Should Cocoa challenge, run by Choclette of the Chocolate Log Blog, is cheese. And since I had some success earlier this week with my Monster High Cake Pops I thought I'd make some white chocolate cake pops - bound together of course, by soft cheese.
I love these, and since I found out how to make them I can't stop. I always use a shop-bought Madeira cake - this gives such a lovely sweetness I think, and they're always a bit more stodgy, so I find they stick together better than home-made cake crumbs. Plus, you don't have to wait for them to cool (bonus).
White Chocolate-Dipped Cake Pops
Makes about 10
- 265g Madeira cake, crumbled into crumbs
- 100g soft cheese (I used Philadelphia)
- About 250g white chocolate
- Cake pop sticks
- Mix the cake crumbs and the soft cheese together to make a slightly sticky mixture. Form into balls with your hand, or use an ice cream scoop - and poke in a cake pop stick. Lay on a tray lined with greaseproof paper and repeat rolling and spearing until they're all done.
- Slide the tray with the cake pops on into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- While the cake pops are freezing, gently melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- When the 30 minutes are up, take out the cake pops and drizzle and swirl over spoonfuls of the white chocolate. The chocolate will set pretty much as soon as it touches the freezing cake mixture. I like to swirl them up so they make little truffle shapes, with the chocolate a bit thicker than usual. I also covered some of them with pink icing and then drizzled over the white chocolate to create a pattern.
- Leave to dry fully in a mug or on a sheet of greaseproof paper.
What do you reckon? Do you like chocolate and cheese?