Peanut Butter and Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes 12-16 cakes
For the cakes:
- 340g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 250ml milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 100g butter, melted
- 160g smooth peanut butter
- 225g icing sugar
- 100g soft, unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp hot water from the kettle
- Honey roasted peanuts, about 4 per cake.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C.
- Put the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar into a bowl.
- In another bowl or a large jug, mix the melted butter, eggs, milk, peanut butter and vanilla extract. Mix well with a fork - the peanut butter will take a while to mix in.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir well to combine.
- You will have quite a stiff batter - add a few drops of milk to loosen if need be.
- Pour into a silicone muffin tray and bake for 25 minutes. When done, take out and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, get on with the frosting. Beat together the icing sugar and butter until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and loosen the mixture with hot water from a recently boiled kettle. When smooth and soft, spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large star-shaped nozzle.
- When the caked are cool, pipe a swirl on top of each cake - you only need a small amount of icing - and then sprinkle the nuts on top.