The sauce is cheesy - but mildly so - and involves melting just a few ingredients together. Make the most of the lovely brassicas in season at the moment - instead of purple sprouting broccoli, you could also use standard broccoli, cut into florets, or Tenderstem broccoli, if you wanted to.
Creamy Pasta with Purple Sprouting Broccoli Recipe
- 350g pasta
- 150ml single cream (or use a few dollops of creme fraiche)
- 200g purple sprouting brocolli, or other kind, cut into florets and trimmed use the stalks of sprouting kinds, too)
- 125g ball of mozzarella, grated
- small handful Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to season
- Bring a saucepan of slightly salted water to the boil and throw in the pasta. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, get on with the sauce. Place the grated mozzarella ball into a small, non-stick pan and set on a medium heat. Tip in the cream and turn down - leave to gently melt together.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking time for the pasta, throw in the broccoli. After 5 minutes, when the broccoli is tender and the pasta is cooked, drain.
- Take the cream and mozzarella mixture off the heat and add the grated Parmesan. Stir to mix and taste, adding salt and pepper if you wish. Tip the drained, hot pasta into the cheese sauce and serve, with extra Parmesan for grating over and lots of black pepper.
What are your favourite recipes using purple sprouting broccoli?