I also feel that the beetroot alongside the mackerel adds a freshness - and a Scandinavian touch too - and apart from the fact that you can have a healthy lunch on the table in 10 minutes or less it tastes amazing. This is great as something light - for a more filling lunch you could always serve with some rye bread or boiled new potatoes alongside. I eat my mackerel cold - but if you want to you can grill it for a few minutes on either side, until sizzling and hot.
Smoked Mackerel Salad with Beetroot and Horseradish Relish
- One pack of ready-to-eat smoked mackerel fillets (2-3 fillets)
- 2 cooked, peeled beetroot, total weight about 125g (I used natural cooked vacuum-packed beetroot) - save 2 tbsp of the beetroot juice
- Pinch sea salt
- 3 heaped teaspoons horseradish sauce
- Rocket, to serve
- juice of half a lemon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Take the mackerel fillets out of the packet, and leave to slowly come to room temperature.
- Puree the beetroot, in a hand-held processor using 2 tablespoons of the juice to help it liquidise. Throw in a pinch of sea salt and spoon in the horseradish, mixing to make a creamy paste. Taste, and add more salt or horseradish if necessary to suit your own tastes.
- Take a handful of rocket and arrange on a plate, place the mackerel fillet alongside it and spoon a generous amount of the beetroot relish on the side. Dress the rocket with some more sea salt, lemon juice and a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
For more beetroot recipes visit www.lovebeetroot.co.uk/recipes