OK, OK, I know I said that this was the last WorldFoods challenge, but we got given another bonus challenge, using the Worldfoods Chilli and Kaffir Lime dipping sauce. And as I hadn't made anything to dip into it, I decided to make some chicken noodles instead.
What I really loved about this sauce is that when you cook it in the pan with the sliced chicken, it firstly coats the meat and then gives it this shiny, burnished glaze that adds so much flavour at the end of the cooking. Just make sure to slice your chicken nice and thinly so that it cooks quickly and evenly. And don't have the pan on a really fiery heat or the sauce will burn when it hits the wok and leave lots of black little burnt bits in your noodles.
WorldFoods Chilli and Lime Chicken Noodles - serves 4
- 4 x nests dried egg noodles
- half a chicken stock cube
- a tablespoon vegetable or flavourless oil
- 4 x boneless and skinless chicken thighs, sliced thinly
- 3-4 spring onions, washed, trimmed and chopped
- quarter of a bottle of WorldFoods Chilli and Lime Dipping Sauce
- 1 x red pepper, washed, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 5-6 chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- splash (about a tablespoon) soy sauce
- splash (tablespoon or thereabouts) sesame oil
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Dissolve the half stock cube in the boiling water and add the noodles to cook.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over a medium heat (not too fierce) and stir fry the chicken for around 5-6 minutes, or until just cooked. Throw in the spring onions and stir fry for another minute or so.
- Pour in the dipping sauce, and stir to mix, making sure the chicken is coated evenly in the sauce.
- Throw in the red pepper and mushrooms and stir fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- The noodles should now be cooked through. Drain them and rinse briefly in cold running water to remove any excess starch - this will help stop them clumping together when they go in to the wok.
- Tip in the tangle of noodles, along with the soy sauce and sesame oil and mix with the meat and vegetables. Stir in more chilli dipping sauce if you like, for a spicier, stronger flavour.
- When everything is mixed together and the noodles are coated in the sauce and juices in the pan, serve immediately.
To see the other WorldFoods challenges that I've taken part in, click here. The Worldfoods sauces that I've used in the challenges can be bought at Tesco if you want to have a go yourself!